FEMA Disaster Assistance

If possible, homeowners, renters and businesses should register with FEMA before visiting a recovery center. Eligible residents may register for assistance the following ways:

Online at DisasterAssistance.gov.
Phone 800-621-3362 (voice, 711/VRS-Video Relay Service)
(TTY: 800-462-7585). Multilingual operators are available (press 2 for Spanish).

Via the FEMA app, available for Apple and Android mobile devices. To download visit: fema.gov/mobile-app

The following information is helpful when registering:

  • Address of the location where the damage occurred (pre-disaster address).
  • Current mailing address.
  • Current telephone number.
  • Insurance information.
  • Total household annual income.
  • Routing and account number for checking or savings account (this allows FEMA to directly transfer disaster assistance funds into a bank account).
  • A description of disaster-caused damage and losses.

FEMA has a hotline (and an email address): https://www.disasterassistance.gov/help/contact-us as well as an app for your phone: https://www.fema.gov/

Information about Disaster Relief SBA loans (not just for business owners) is available at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela/Information/FactSheetHomeownersRenters

**Also contact your insurance company as your next step.


Resource For Reimbursement

Loss of Use // Resource for Reimbursement Cost During Evacuation.
This type of claim can be filed through your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy. In most cases (depending on your insurance company), you will qualify for monetary assistance even if there is not damage to your home. ***Note: All insurance companies have different eligibility requirements; information contained below is general and simply common to most major providers we contacted*** 

Terminology that you should use while filing this claim is as follows: “Due to a mandatory evacuation order for my county, and damages to neighboring property, I am unable to inhabit or access my home at this time. I have incurred additional expenses, such as lodging, travel, and food, and would like to initiate a claim.” 

Your insurance company may cover expenses related to: 

-Lodging expenses: These are expenses such as hotel costs OR money that you are paying to a friend or family member who you are staying with. 

-Travel expenses: These are expenses directly connected to your vehicle (normally 1 vehicle per household). USAA pays out $0.54 per mile traveled, round trip. Other companies may require fuel receipts or an estimate of added fuel costs. 

-Food expenses: This payment is calculated by determining the “increased daily amount” that you are spending to eat while displaced from your home. Receipts are normally not required, as long as the increase is not determined to be extravagant. 

-Spoiled food: This reimbursement is for perishable items that have spoiled due to a loss of power. The maximum payment with most insurance companies is $500.00 and receipts are normally not required. 

While making this claim, you will likely need your social security number and banking information (account & routing number) in order to receive funds directly deposited into your account. Most companies pay within 1-2 business days.



Here are a few general instructions on how to proceed if your home was damaged by flood waters. Every situation is unique so the guidelines may or may not fit your specific situation, so they are intended to apply at a high level.



Local Shelters

If you are in need of a local shelter, here are the Onslow County shelters.